Quote for the Day: Peace in the Moment

 I call it, "Peace in the moment" where I center all my attention to who I am talking to or whatever I am doing that very moment.  As a pastor I usually have a lot of things in my life: peoples lives, things I haven't done that I need to get done, my personal needs, situations that I need to address, etc.  This is true for all of us in some way.  I realized the importance of giving my full attention to the moment without "multi-tasking" in my thinking.  I want to give my genuine attention to the moment and to people who are talking to me.  I have been practicing this for a lot of years - not all that easy to do at times.  I could be worrying about tomorrow and miss today.  Or my attitude could shift because of a lot of things going on and I might not be giving my best attitude of what I am presently addressing.  When worrying about something, Luther says, "Pray and let God do the worrying."  Or as we pray, "Into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul and all things."  Trusting and commending things to God frees us to invest in the moment despite our circumstance in life.  

Therefore do not be anxious, saying, What shall we eat? or What shall we drink? or What shall we wear? For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

Matthew 6:31-34 (ESV)

Carpe diem, qua minimum credula postero.

Seize today, and put as little trust as
you can in tomorrow.
Horace

Comments

Popular Posts