Headed Home

 

14 “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God[a]; believe also in me. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going.” (John 14:1-4 ESV®)

 

       As I get ready for the holidays my thoughts go back to home.  The warm home gatherings made me feel so good when I was a youth.  Knowing there was a place I was accepted.  Home is the place where, when you have to go there, They have to take you in.1 is a line from a poem that has stuck in my mind over all these years.  The pleasure I find in that line of poetry is the knowledge there is always a place I can go.

   One of my fondest memories was when my children were about 3 to 6 years old.  The images can still be replayed in my mind in vivid color.  I traveled a lot because of my vocation.  When I was asked where I called home, I would reply Cleveland.  Cleveland was the place where my family and home waited.  At the conclusion of each trip I would arrive back in Cleveland Hopkins airport and as I deplaned my son and daughter would come running with open arms and smiles.  I knew I was home!

   Jesus told us he was preparing a place for us in John 14:1-4.  I picture in my mind arriving in the place Jesus has prepared for me much like I can remember those homecomings at the airport.  Because of my Bible I am assured that when my job on earth is done I have a reserved ticket to get me home because of the debt Jesus paid for my sin.  That last journey will end with greetings from those that are already home and most of all my Jesus.  I will then know I am home. 

   As we approach the celebration of the gift of a Savior that came as a baby to go on to pay the price of all our tickets home, let us not forget to spread that knowledge to others.  How can we spread that cheer of being headed home?  God put us in the world to love and care for others for His glory.  What better way to do that than to share by reaching out to those God put in our path while we are sharing the Good News that heaven can be anyone’s home, thanks to Jesus’ death and resurrection.  Faith, like love, is the gift you give and still have even more to give.  Proclaim, the Babe of Christmas is Alive!

 

                             Giving away tickets for homebound pilgrims,

 

                             Wess Mechler – Jesus truly is Alive!!!

1 – The Death of the Hired Man by Robert Frost 1874-1963

ESV® - The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers. All rights reserved.

Comments

Popular Posts