Where is Your Trust

  

Some trust in chariots, and some in horses;
But we will remember the name of the Lord our God. (Psalm 20:7 NKJV®)

The grass withers, the flower fades,
But the word of our God stands forever. (Isaiah 40:8 NKJV®)

21And it shall come to pass That whoever calls on the name of the Lord
Shall be saved.’
(Acts 2:21 NKJV®)

 

 

     New Year’s resolutions began with the ancient Babylonians about 2000 BC with the celebration of Akitu. The celebration was in March not January. It was the time for planning. The resolutions were promises to the pagan gods. The idea was these gods would reward them if they kept their resolutions. About 46 BC the ancient Romans revised the calendar and the celebration was moved to January. The Romans continued the use of promises to the god Janus.1

     Roughly 1740 AD, John Wesley started a Covenant Renewal Service, most commonly held on New Year’s Eve. Christians thought about their mistakes in the past year and resolved to do better in the future.

     Today, most of the New Year’s resolution are secular not religious. Instead of making promises to gods, resolutions have become more self-improvement. Modern resolutions mainly focus on the 3 Fs (Food, Fitness, Finance). With this year ending on 123123 (December 31, 2023) some are putting more importance on resolutions this New Year.

     Past New Year’s Eves I have made some resolutions, lose weight, go to the gym on a regular schedule and STICK to a budget. I sadly confess, my past resolution track record has not been an item I want to dwell on.

     This year I am going the way that will benefit my future the most. I am going to be more disciplined about where I put my trust. I know New Year’s resolutions on their own do not work. When I look at my trusty Bible, I find some guidance for better resolutions. For 2024, I am going to put my trust in the name of the Lord our God. This has worked well for me in previous years and I will get help from the original promise keeper.

 

                             God is good, God is good all the time,

 

                             Wess Mechler – Jesus is Alive!!!

 

1 – "The history of new years resolutions". History.com. Retrieved 2023-01-03

NKJV®- The Holy Bible, New King James Version Copyright © 1979, 1980, 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. All rights reserved.

Comments

Popular Posts