August 18, 2026 PORTALS OF PRAYER READINGS
Exodus 3:1-12
The Burning Bush
3 Now Moses was keeping the flock of his
father-in-law, Jethro, the priest of Midian, and he led his flock to the west
side of the wilderness and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. 2 And the angel
of the Lord appeared to him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush.
He looked, and behold, the bush was burning, yet it was not consumed. 3 And Moses said, “I will turn aside to see this
great sight, why the bush is not burned.” 4 When
the Lord saw that he turned aside to see, God called to
him out of the bush, “Moses, Moses!” And he said, “Here I am.” 5 Then he said, “Do not come near; take your
sandals off your feet, for the place on which you are standing is holy ground.” 6 And he said, “I am the God of your father,
the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.” And Moses hid his
face, for he was afraid to look at God.
7 Then the Lord said, “I have surely seen the affliction of my
people who are in Egypt and have heard their cry because of
their taskmasters. I know their sufferings, 8 and I have
come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians and to bring
them up out of that land to a good and broad land, a land flowing
with milk and honey, to the place of the Canaanites, the Hittites, the
Amorites, the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites. 9 And now, behold, the cry of the people of
Israel has come to me, and I have also seen the oppression with which the
Egyptians oppress them. 10 Come, I
will send you to Pharaoh that you may bring my people, the children of Israel,
out of Egypt.” 11 But Moses said
to God, “Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the children of
Israel out of Egypt?” 12 He
said, “But I will be with you, and this shall be the sign for you, that I
have sent you: when you have brought the people out of Egypt, you shall
serve God on this mountain.”
Psalm 105:23-38
23 Then Israel came to Egypt;
Jacob sojourned in the land of
Ham.
24 And the Lord made
his people very fruitful
and made them stronger than their foes.
25 He turned their hearts to hate his
people,
to deal craftily with his servants.
26 He sent Moses, his servant,
and Aaron, whom he had chosen.
27 They performed his signs among them
and miracles in the land of Ham.
28 He sent darkness, and made the land
dark;
they did not rebel[a] against his words.
29 He turned their waters into blood
and caused their fish to die.
30 Their land swarmed with frogs,
even in the chambers of their kings.
31 He spoke, and there came swarms of
flies,
and gnats throughout their country.
32 He gave them hail for rain,
and fiery lightning bolts through
their land.
33 He struck down their vines and fig trees,
and shattered the trees of their
country.
34 He spoke, and the locusts came,
young locusts without number,
35 which devoured all the vegetation in their
land
and ate up the fruit of their ground.
36 He struck down all the firstborn in
their land,
the firstfruits of all their strength.
37 Then he brought out Israel with silver and gold,
and there was none among his tribes who
stumbled.
38 Egypt was glad when they departed,
for dread of them had fallen upon it.
Footnotes
- Psalm 105:28 Septuagint,
Syriac omit not
ESV® - The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright ©
2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers. All rights
reserved.
Source for Bible text - www.biblegateway.com
Comments
Post a Comment