Just an Ordinary Devotional

 

 

63 O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you;
    my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you,
    as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.
(Psalm 63:1 ESV®)

55 “Come, everyone who thirsts, come to the waters;
    and he who has no money, come, buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.
Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread,
    and your labor for that which does not satisfy?
Listen diligently to me, and eat what is good,

   and delight yourselves in rich food. (Isaiah 55:1-2 ESV®)

 

     When I find my soul is parched and famished, my devotional lifts my spirit and my understanding of the God that truly loves me. But that is not always my feeling.

     At times I struggle to get to my devotional. My schedule just does not put a priority on doing a devotional. Have you been in either of these situations?

     Satan puts my devotionals at a high priority since it involves my interaction with God and His Holy Word. Keeping us from God’s word is of great importance to Satan since it will keep us from knowing the truth. One of the things Satan does in the Bible accounts is twist the Word of God so he would prefer we only know it a little.

     An article1 I recently read showed Satan views us doing devotionals as war. My day gets busy in the evening so I end up so tired I may skip my devotional at bedtime; Satan sees a victory on the Homefront. Other times my schedule at the beginning of the day is so crowded I may let my devotional slip; Satan wins another maneuver. Then, I rush through my devotional instead of slowly chewing on the Word; Satan attacks at my beachhead.

     Remember, Satan’s first deception was twisting what God said (Genesis 5:1). He is still in hopes of that working today. The better we know God’s Word the harder it will be for Satan to win the battle of confusing us.

     You and I can wage spiritual warfare by remembering there really are no JUST Ordinary Devotionals.

 Join me on the frontlines, 

Wess Mechler, P.H.D. - Jesus is Alive!

Comments

Popular Posts